What do you do when you the “to do” list seems so overwhelming that you cannot concentrate? This seems to be something that happens to me over and over again. Being a mother of 3, wife, business owner and someone who always tries to make sure that she never lets anyone down, it creeps up on me repeatedly. When this happens my husband always pipes up with his advice. (And don’t tell him, but he is usually right. I do not always listen to him because there is this stubborn/badass inside that even if I know he is right. I just can’t let him have it straight away, which in the end he reminds me of too.) His list of great advice is:
- Stop trying to please everyone else and learn to say, “No” without feeling guilty. (For me that is much easier said than done.)
- Break the list down to smaller ones. (This seems to work well because it makes each one doable and make a point of accomplishing each one a separate day.)
- Take time out for you. (You aren’t going to be any good for anyone if you are burnt out. When I get this way, I am also highly overstimulated and can lose it easily.) Take a walk, run, class, crochet or read a book…whatever calms you.
- Carve out the time for the ones that you love. (During the hustle and bustle of life, we can easily take for granted the ones that mean the most. They may understand that life gets busy, but also can start to feel taken advantage of.)
- Follow your heart and take time for prayer. (Thank God for all of the good that he has done and ask for help when you are in need or know someone who is.)
- This one is a hard on for many to follow…..UNPLUG…. no social media, no electronics, etc. Just simple living for a bit. (I have decided that I am going to make Sundays my day to UNPLUG. How about you?) A lot of us are driven off of our electronics and I would be the first to say that I am probably addicted. So next Sunday when you see me out somewhere and I have a nervous twitch, just know I am going through a withdrawal!! LOL
- Schedule out your time. Devote time for certain things and focus on them during those time periods. When the time is up, let them be and go on to the next thing on the schedule and try not to let it those times over lap. If you are trying to do too many things at one time, you will not being giving your best to any of them. (Even if women are great at multitasking!)
- Ask for HELP!